Friday, March 18, 2011

We are home!!!!

We got to come home tonight. It was very disappointing not being able to update this while we were in the hospital. To go from open heart surgery to running, yes running, the halls in 4 days is absolutely amazing!!!

Those first two days were very challenging. Not just because of Rose Nacheca but because me being the emotional sponge that I am it was very difficult watching all the activity in the the Cardiac ICU. Both Tuesday and Wednesday nights we were directly across the hall from little infants who had also just had open heart surgery and had major crisises. All the doctors would rush in and send the parents out in the hall. Being that the wall is glass, it was like watching all the drama unfold on a TV screen. I would cuddle Rose Nacheca and just cry right along with the parents in the hall. Luckily they were able to get the situation under control and all the babies were ok. But what a scary thing for a parent to have to go through. I said many prayers for many people who I had never met before those two nights.

Once Rose Nacheca's chest tubes were out she really did perk right up. She was able to take wagon rides and explore the CVCC (CardioVascular Care Center). She quickly discovered they had toys, books and all kinds of things she wanted to play with. I used this to my advantage to bribe her to start eating LOL! Once she discovered those toys there was no stopping her. She still took lots of naps of course but she made friends with all the nurses who were lining the halls as she zoomed past them on all the riding toys they had there!

I am still in awe when the realization sets in that her heart is fixed. I see many signs of this already. Her nose and cheeks have a pink glow to them. The palms of her hands that used to be a very light brown color are now very very pink!!!!! It is a beautiful sight! It will be exciting to see if she starts to gain weight faster now. They believe that she will. I am very excited about this opportunity she has been given and also very glad that this week is over!

I had said before that I was having a hard time getting the strength to go through this but God really does give you what you need when you need it. As if the surgery was not enough excitement Dan had to speak at a funeral yesterday and Alex got an absessed tooth which had to be pulled out on Thursday. Due to severe swelling he had to go back to the oral surgeon today. Thank goodness for grandparents in times like this! It was heart breaking to not be able to hold his hand during this whole thing, I think I cried more about it than my brave little boy HAHA!! It feels very good to be home so that I can tuck all 4 kids into their own beds again :)

Thanks for all the prayers, I will continue to keep you updated on her progress. We have to go back for one more x-ray in the morning and then her post op appointment next Thursday. Have a wonderful weekend! Maybe when you tuck your kids in bed put your head on their chests and listen to the sweet sound of their hearts beating and let it fill you with warmth. I will never forget those families at the CVCC whose parents know all too well how lucky we are to be able to do this!

1 comment:

  1. So glad all is well!! Hopefully the weekend will include some rest in the mix of playing 'catch up'! Hugs from Texas, nicole

    ReplyDelete